What is a Letter Of Consent and Who is Eligible for It?

A Letter of Consent (LOC) is a document issued by Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) that authorises LTVP or LTVP+ holders and business owners to work for a Singapore firm. This article outlines the prerequisites and process for obtaining a LOC in Singapore.

Dependent Pass holders might use the Letter of Consent to operate in Singapore before May 1, 2021. (LOC). Dependent Permit holders who intend to work must apply for an appropriate work pass, such as an Employment Pass, S Pass, or Work Permit, rather than the LOC, beginning May 1, 2021. DP holders who want to run a business in Singapore can still apply for a LOC.

Key facts about the Letter of Consent

  • The employer or designated service provider must submit an application for LOC. The applicant is unable to apply for a Letter of Credit on his own.
  • Only qualified holders of the LTVP or LTVP+ granted by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA) with a work offer from a Singapore company, as well as Dependent Pass holders who are business owners, are eligible for LOC.
  • To work in Singapore, holders of the Ministry of Manpower’s LTVP must apply for an Employment Pass, S Pass, or Work Permit.
  • S Pass holders’ dependents are not eligible to apply for a LOC. They should instead apply for a Work Permit, a S Pass, or an Employment Pass.
  • The length of the LOC is determined by the expiration date of the LTVP, LTVP+, or Dependent Pass, as well as the information provided by the employer in the LOC application. Furthermore, the LOC is only valid while the bearer is employed by the firm.
  • For LOC applications, there is no foreign worker levy or quota.
  • When the LTVP, LTVP+, or Dependent Pass is renewed, the LOC can be renewed as well.
  • There is no requirement for a minimum wage to get a LOC.

Eligibility requirements for a Letter of Consent

LTVP or LTVP+ holders

  • A spouse of a Singaporean or Permanent Resident who has an LTVP or LTVP+.
  • An LTVP holder’s unmarried kid (under 21 years old) who is a Singaporean or Permanent Resident.

DP holders who are business owners

The DP holder must apply for the LOC in order to work for the firm while also being a business owner. Those who want to start a business in Singapore can also apply for a LOC.

An applicant must be a member of one of the following kinds of company owners to be considered:

  • A corporate director who owns more than 30% of the business’s stock;
  • An ACRA-registered business’s single proprietorship;
  • A business partner who is registered with the ACRA.

Please note that the DP, LTVP, or LTVP+ must be valid for at least 3 months in order to get a LOC. In the case of the LTVP and LTVP+, an employment offer from a Singapore company is also required.

Factors that can affect LOC application outcome

Despite the fact that there are no explicit eligibility requirements for applicants, not all LOC applications are granted. Every application is considered on its own merits, and the outcome is completely at the Ministry of Manpower’s discretion.

The following are some of the elements that influence the application’s success:

  • Age, salary, citizenship, education, job experience, and abilities of the applicant. For example, if the candidate has a strong university degree, extensive professional experience, specialised talents, or a high income, his chances of success may be considerably increased.
  • Job description of the applicant.
  • The company’s economic viability in Singapore and the availability of local applicants. If the applicant works for a well-known firm or in an area where local applicants are hard to come by, the odds of a good outcome improve.

Required documents

The employing business or its designated corporate service provider must submit the LOC application using the EP Online platform.

Employers must get the candidate’s written agreement before filing the LOC application. The paper can be in any format as long as it demonstrates the candidate’s willingness to work.

When applying for a Letter of Consent, extra papers may be required for specific professions. Lawyers, staff at food outlets, regional representatives, and healthcare experts are among these professions. Please visit the MOM website for additional information on the needed paperwork for specific professions.

It’s worth noting that non-English papers must be submitted with both the original and the English translation. A translation service provider should handle the translation.

Application timeline

The application processing period is 1-3 weeks once it is filed. EP Online may be used to monitor the progress of the LOC application, and if accepted, you can print an official document straight from the website.

Contact us for immigration, recruiting, or work visa services, and work with a specialised professional. Every aspect of your application will be properly attended to by our qualified professionals.